The Town of Parker Colorado is home to many pieces of interesting and thought-provoking public art.
The first piece to be added to the community in May will be a new public art piece called “Patient Warrior” by sculptor Christopher Romero, and the second a bronze statue of Dr. Walter Heath, Parker’s first physician by local Parker artist Don Budy.
Public art plays an important role in the Town of Parker. It is used to develop community pride, promote public interest in art and draw visitors to the retail or civic areas where the pieces are displayed.
Christopher Romero a resident of Thornton Colorado has several public pieces of art throughout Metro Denver but this is his first piece in Parker which was a 2008 entry in the Douglas County Art Encounters Program.
Christopher Romer’s works in Douglas County include:
“The Patient Warrior” Location: Town Center, 9325 Dorchester St. Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“The Messenger” Location: The Vistas at Park Meadows Mall, 8401 Park Meadows Center Drive, Lone Tree Colorado.
“Breath” Festival Park 2nd & Perry Streets, Castle Rock Colorado.
Mr Romero also has two donated pieces on display.
” The First Peace Officer” Arhchangel Michael at the Red Rocks Community College February 2005
“The Patient Warrior” (Eagle bust only) at the Good Samaritan Foundation August 2007
A bronze statue of Dr. Walter Heath, Parker’s first physician, will be revealed at the second public art unveiling on May 25 at 2 p.m. on the northeast corner of Mainstreet and Pikes Peak Place.
This piece was created by local artist, Don Budy, a local Parker resident and artist. Mr. Budy is also known for the beautiful stained glass and wood cross that he donated to the Parker United Methodist Church when it moved from it’s original building next to Ruth Memorial Chapel to it’s current location on South Parker Road.
Dr. Walter Heath was instrumental in the building and placement of one of the town’s favorite landmarks “Ruth Memorial Chapel”. In 1912 Dr. Heath was one of the trustee’s for the “church” in Parker and along with George Parker, Heath donated land for the building site that became the home of Parker’s first church. The church was named for Dr. Walter Heath’s daughter Ruth who died at an early age. Work began on the church in February 1912 and Dr. Heath passed away suddenly the next month and sadly never got to see this landmark stand. Ruth Chapel is on the national register of historic places. This memorial statue wil be a wonderful tribute to his life and contributions to the community and was made possible by Parker Adventist Hospital, Dr. Heath’s grandchildren, Edward V. Heath and Clair Heath Fink, and Parker business owners David A. Van Landschoot and Stevan Strain.
Don Budy is a local Parker resident and artist and also is known for the beautiful stained glass and wood cross that he donated to the Parker United Methodist Church was moved from it’s original home at the Mainstreet Center to the new structure on South Parker Road.
This project was made possible by Parker Adventist Hospital, Dr. Heath’s grandchildren, Edward V. Heath and Clair Heath Fink, and Parker business owners David A. Van Landschoot and Stevan Strain.
For additional information about Public Art in Parker, please visit www.ParkerRec.com or contact Kelly Kuper at 303.434.1560.
Douglas County Art Encounters made possible by the Scientific & Cultural Facilities District.
Photo Credit Copyright Christine Morin 2007