A bronze statue of Dr. Walter Heath, Parker’s first physician, was revealed at the second public art unveiling May 25, 2010, at 2 p.m. on the northeast corner of Mainstreet and Pikes Peak Place.
This piece was created by artist, Don Budy, a local Parker resident, and artist. Mr. Budy is also known for the beautiful stained glass and wood cross that he created and donated to the Parker United Methodist Church when it moved from its original building next to Ruth Memorial Chapel to its current location on South Parker Road.
Dr. Walter Heath was instrumental in the building and placement of one of the town’s favorite landmarks “Ruth Memorial Chapel“. In 1912 Dr. Heath was one of the trustee’s for the “church” in Parker and along with George Parker, Heath donated land for the building site that became the home of Parker’s first church. The church was named for Dr. Walter Heath’s daughter Ruth who died at an early age. Work began on the church in February 1912 and Dr. Heath passed away suddenly the next month and sadly never got to see this landmark stand proudly as a backdrop for the many activities that still take place in this historic western town. Ruth Chapel is on the national register of historic places.
This memorial statue will be a wonderful tribute to his life and contributions to the community and was made possible by Parker Adventist Hospital, Dr. Heath’s grandchildren, Edward V. Heath and Clair Heath Fink, and Parker business owners David A. Van Landschoot and Stevan Strain.
Public art plays an important role in the Town of Parker. It is used to develop community pride, promote public interest in art and draw visitors to the retail or civic areas where the pieces are displayed.
For additional information about Public Art in Parker, please visit www.ParkerRec.com or contact Kelly Kuper at 303.434.1560.
Douglas County Art Encounters made possible by the Scientific & Cultural Facilities District.